When a customer completes a checkout with Affirm as the payment method, Affirm authorizes a charge for the amount of the order. The order should automatically show up in your Order Management System (OMS) for many of our e-commerce platform partners, then automatically update the Affirm order status within the Merchant Portal.
- To learn how to navigate the Charges tab, view this article.
- To learn about charge events and statuses, view this article.
Processing charges actions
You should be able to capture, void (cancel), and refund an Affirm order directly through your OMS - this is the recommended approach - it reduces the number of systems that need to interact with the charge/transaction event, and reduces the time delays statuses or reporting. However, if you prefer, you can also perform the same actions directly from the Affirm Merchant Dashboard. The actions you take are listed below:
Some Best Practices to follow to reduce customer questions or issues around charges:
- Do clearly state your return policy on your website.
- Do capture orders immediately after fulfillment and before authorization expiration.
- Do not place an order or enter a customer's personal information on behalf of the customer.
- Do not fulfill an order unless the charge is authorized.